As part of Ms. Berkowitz’s campaign for safer roads, Representative Denise Provost (right, in photo) and Senator Patricia Jehlen of Somerville, Massachusetts sponsored An Act Relative to Sleep Deprivation Avoidance and Promotion of Good Sleeping Practice. This legislation authorizes The Governor to annually issue a proclamation setting apart the second week of March as Massachusetts Sleep Awareness Week, and the first Sunday in March as Massachusetts Sleep Awareness Day. In addition, the second week of November shall be declared Massachusetts Drowsy Driving Prevention Week.
1st Sunday in March: Massachusetts Sleep Awareness Day
2nd week of March: Massachusetts Sleep Awareness Week
2nd week of November: Massachusetts Drowsy Driving Prevention Week
Said proclamation will call special attention to the problems of sleep deprivation and fatigue such as: impaired reaction time, judgment and vision; problems with information processing and short-term memory; decreased performance, vigilance and motivation; increased moodiness and aggressive behaviors; and, especially, the dangers of driving under the influence of sleep deprivation or fatigue.
WHAT WE DO
Past activities of the Drowsy Driving Prevention Project have included:
- A Presentation on the dangers of drowsy driving to a gathering of high school sports team captains, hosted by the Massachusetts Interscholastic Athletic Association.
- Presentation about drowsy driving prevention at the Fall wellness fair at Harvard Law School.
- Developed messaging, with the Massachusetts Department of Transportation (MassDOT), to display electronic signs on all major highways in Massachusetts for all of November (the first week of November is national Drowsy Driving Awareness Week). Signage achieved 65,000 exposures over 165 display hours.
- Worked with MassDOT to post anti-drowsy driving messages on billboards across Massachusetts during the observance of Drowsy Driving Prevention Week.
- Arranged with MASS DOT for free coffee stops over the New Year’s holiday.
- Arranged for social media messaging about drowsy driving with area communications staff at Boston area hospitals (including Boston Medical Center, Tufts Medical Center, Mass General, and Bay State Health) over holiday period.
- Received support from Somerville representatives to introduce legislation designating a week in November each year as Drowsy Driving Prevention Week and Sleep Awareness Week in March. Refiled 2019.
- Worked with Emerson College students to prepare communications safety messaging geared towards college students.